And that has tended to be the norm ever since a few months past our honeymoon. It felt so good to let loose after our wedding that I never really honed it in on a consistent basis. I loved moving in with Adam after the wedding where I enjoyed cooking delicious meals, inviting friends over, baking up a storm, and rushing home after work every night to spend time with him.
So all that hard work of a nightly gym regimen, eating copious salads with grilled chicken, and feeling good in my body flew right out the window.
The wake-up call for me has been three-fold…
1// Not feeling comfortable in my own skin (heck no, I don’t want to wear tank tops with flabby arms!)
2// Those skinny jeans are getting a bit too snug, and I’m waiting for the button to pop off...
3// The most unflattering photo of me ever taken of me during 4th of July weekend
(I almost didn’t recognize myself.)
We have been talking about how we want to approach this plan for a few weeks, and found something that is working out great for us so far! We are kicking it off with a 30 day challenge of following the plan with no cheating to jump start the road to healthy.
Here are the deets below to in case you are looking for good way to spark your healthy eating motivation. I will be sharing our grocery shopping list + favorite recipes next week!
Breakfast - 8AM //
- Complex Carb
- 2 eggs over easy, whole wheat english muffin (minimally processed), and berries
- 1/2 cup steel oats, 1/2 cup almond milk, blueberries, cinnamon, stevia (overnight oats)
- protein shake (no sugar), fruit
Morning Snack - 10:30 AM (if needed) //
- Protein + Fruit
- string cheese & apple
- 1 oz. cashews & fruit
- cottage cheese and bing cherries
- hard boiled egg and berries
Lunch - 1 PM //
- Complex Carb
- spinach salad with veggies and grilled chicken breast
- whole wheat tortilla (minimally processed), seasoned ground turkey, hummus, lettuce, cucumbers
- tilapia fillet, steamed broccoli, half sweet potato
Snack - 3:30 PM (if needed) //
- Protein, or...
- Protein + Complex Carb (if working out)
- whole wheat rice cake, tablespoon almond butter, half sliced banana
- almonds & fruit
- celery sticks, hummus, turkey deli slices
Dinner - 6 PM //
- Complex Carb (if needed)
- Omega 3 Supplement
- greek yogurt chicken, roasted squash & zucchini
- baked salmon, mixed steamed veggies, sweet potato or brown rice
- hummus crusted chicken, roasted garlic brussels sprouts, steamed broccoli
- mexican seasoned ground chicken, black beans, tomatoes, mixed greens, sauteed peppers and salsa (taco salad)
Evening Snack (if needed) //
- Protein, Veggies, or Fruit (in moderation)
- water (half of your body weight = how many ounces to drink/day minimum)
- daily vitamin supplements
- exercise (minimum 30 minutes 4-5 days/week)
- no caffeine, sugar, white flour
- one drink/week at social gathering (if at all)
- no cheating!
- track food, exercise, and progress on My Fitness Pal (add me and we can do this together!)
We both took body measurements at the start of the week so that we can compare our success with where we started. Sure, it will be great to see the number on the scale go down as my body adjusts to the new lifestyle, but losing inches and building muscle is more important to focus on. And we got brave by taking before photos - what an eye opener!.
Looking forward to feeling like myself again, and so glad I have a partner in crime along the way.
Wish us luck! :)
What helps you keep a healthy lifestyle?
Any great tips you try to stick to?